Home Landscape: Understanding the Basics of Landscape Design
This 32-page guide can help you take a problem-solving approach to assessing your current landscape and planning how to give it a new look. By identifying the constraints of your site and creatively applying basic design principles, you can create a functional landscape that meets your needs, is environmentally sound and aesthetically pleasing, and demonstrates your own sense of style.
This guide, which is well illustrated with photographs and diagrams, includes tools to help you achieve the look you want.
- Step-by-step guide to working through the landscape design process.
- Explanation of design principles with illustrations showing how to apply them to your yard.
- Worksheets to help you analyze your yard and identify how you want to use your outdoor spaces.
- Guidelines for choosing the “right” plants.
- A summary of the types of landscape design assistance available.
This Extension publication is being copublished by Iowa State University Cooperative Extension and University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension.